Saturday, May 5, 2012

My Baby is a FIVE YEAR OLD

I feel like I have blinked my eyes and all of a sudden my baby is no longer a baby.  On Monday, Noah turned 5 years old.  Turning 5 is such a big milestone!  He is no longer a baby or toddler or preschooler, but a little boy.  A little boy that will also be starting school in just a few months.  It blows my mind that we are already at this point!  I can't wrap my head around how it feels like this has crept up on me so quickly and here we are at the beginning of his school years. This week, we also had his 2nd transitional meeting with his preschool, as well as some representatives from the special needs department of the school system to discuss his IEP for the upcoming school year.  IEP's are plans that are written out for children with special needs to address where the child is vs. where they should be, as well as their goals for the year and the different activities that they will work with the child on and their physical/occupational/speech therapy schedule.  They can be emotional meetings because it's basically a big reality check for the parents.  It's very hard to see just how far behind your child is developmentally compared to his/her peers and to realize that they haven't met any of their goals for the year.  This meeting was to discuss all the new things that will come in to play once Noah enters Kindergarten and I'll admit, it's kind of scary for me.  I'm sure Noah will love Kindergarten but it breaks my heart knowing how far behind he is and that he's about to enter school where he should be reading and writing and here he is not even talking. I've spent alot of time praying to the Lord about what is the right thing for Noah and I just have to hope that this is the best. Then to top it off, the meeting went terribly because of a particular person that was present at the meeting (whom I had never met before) made some very inappropriate and offensive comments regarding Noah and his needs.  I was hurt, angry and emotionally drained.  Thankfully, some of the others that were in on the meeting were outraged by what this person said and apologized to me for what had happened.  It has really opened my eyes that I (along with Jamie, my parents, etc) am my child's only advocate.  Unfortunately I can't TRUST that just because a person is a part of the school system that they have your child's best interest at heart.  Because that's not always the case.  I have to be proactive to get the best for Noah so that he can thrive and learn.  Fortunately, this was the first time that I've encountered anything like that and up until this point, Noah has been blessed with amazing caretakers, teachers and therapists that have treated him with nothing but love and compassion.  That meeting combined with him actually turning 5 has been a lot to take in for one week! Needless to say, I have welcomed the weekend with open arms. 

But back to Noah's party...We decided this year that we didn't want to go the big birthday party route and decided to just have our immediate family over to grill out.  I don't want my children growing up expecting a huge, pricey, over-the-top party every single year.  Since we had the wedding last weekend, we just decided to have everyone over on his actual birthday, Monday evening, and we grilled burgers and hotdogs, as well as cake and ice cream.  The weather was perfect so the kids had a blast running around playing on the swing set in the backyard and shooting basketball while the adults had just as much fun enjoying each other's company and playing with the kids.  Noah had the biggest smile on his face majority of the night and that's all that matters to me! I just want him to have a good time and I think we achieved our goal!























 

Happy, happy birthday to my FAVORITE 5 year old.  Noah, I love you more than life itself and I can't fathom my life without you in it.  I don't remember what it was like before you arrived.  I'm so proud of the amazing little boy you are... your loving heart, how you always love to cuddle with your favorite people, your love for books and music, how you've become this social little boy that loves to be surrounded by kids, and your perseverance in how hard you have worked to accomplish things that don't come easy for you, such as walking.  I think it's hilarious that while you're at school, you have to stop by each teacher's class room to make sure they say hi to you.  You're the most popular little guy at school and literally EVERYONE knows your name!  I love nothing more to see you face light up with your big smile and to hear your infectious laugh.  You may not speak verbally, but your expressions and smile speak a thousand words.  You have a heart of gold and know nothing but how to love everyone.  You've taught me so much and opened my eyes to view the world in a whole different light.  I love you so much, sweet boy and I am so grateful the Lord entrusted me and Daddy to be your parents.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Precious blog, precious boy, precious family! Happy Birthday to Noah!

Anonymous said...

Whitney, I am so sorry that you had a bad experience with Noah's IEP meeting. That breaks my heart for you. He is a precious child.

The Montgomery Family said...

I cannot believe he is FIVE!!! Can't wait to see the little guy soon!!

Mimi said...

God blessed us all the day Noah was born. He is such a beautiful child with a heart of gold. I know I speak for your Dad and myself that we will never be the same since he entered our lives. We will always love, protect, support and encourage him to be the best he can be. We love all of you!