Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Remodeling

Jamie, Noah, and I have long outgrown our current house and had plans to build sometime at the end of this year - beginning of next year. However, we have since decided that we would get more house for the same (hopefully less) money, if we bought a home and just remodeled it. So that's what we did... we found a house in Florence, closed in October, and began the renovations 2 weeks ago. And surprisingly, it's going quicker than I expected. The house is lots bigger than our current home and is a two-story with 4 bdrms, 3 baths, a big playroom for Noah, lots of storage and closet space, and a big backyard. It will definitely allow for us to grow as a family! I think Jamie is trying to turn the downstairs of the house into a semi-batchelor pad.... he's going to have a TV room for watching football games, etc. with the guys, a workout room, and basketball goal in the back... plus he wants to get a pool table or ping pong table to put in Noah's play room (it's a really big room, so there would be room for Noah's toys and a pool table or whatever). We are both so excited about the new house and HOPE to be in at the beginning of January (fingers crossed). The good thing is that the people we bought it from had very recently put in a new a/c system and had a new roof put on it. However, we have completely gutted the interior b/c it was horribly decorated (think blue toilets/tubs/sinks, shimmery seashell wallpaper, orange carpet, ugly kitchen cabinets ... you get the picture). Plus, we are knocking down walls, adding new ones, that sort of thing. I'm really excited to see how it's going to turn out, especially because some of the interior "structural" changes were my ideas (making mine and Jamie's closet a larger his/hers, making a den into another bedroom and adding a closet, etc) I'll post some pictures of the "before" and when it's finished I can post the "after" pictures. Fortunately, Jamie's dad is a builder and really enjoys remodeling jobs, otherwise, I don't know if I would have gone this route. I've seen what he can do so that's how I have the hope that this house will eventually look good! ... in fact, the house we live in now was remodeled and doesn't even look the same as it did before.
"Before" Kitchen

"Before" Guest Bath

"Before" Entryway

"Before" Den

3 comments:

Nina Long said...

I love remodeling!! It's going to look beautiful!!

sonyagraykey said...

I wish we had the $$ to do something with our big, old house. But, we hope to be moving down South sometime relatively soon, so it wouldn't be worth it really. I'm sure you all are going to do a great job. And although it's hard to believe...I think I've seen that same bathroom shimmery wallpaper in one of my friend's houses here in Macomb! Yes, they are re-doing a ton, too! :) OH, and those 4 years have flown by. I did cry a little today. ;)

The Sawyers said...

I'm loving the old decor! We live on Andre Street across from Edgemont, isn't that close to you? I hope things are going well and I'm glad you are blogging.