Most of you guys are on Facebook so you know about status updates... well the other day I was on FB and noticed a particular status that made reference to "feeling sorry for his co-workers children who are all in some way dysfunctional." The way it was said was completely as a joke and this particular person always has really funny statuses so I knew it wasn't meant to be cruel. However, as the mother of child that has had delays, I found the comment to be offensive and inconsiderate. So I thought, "should I respond? Am I being overly sensitive? or sould I just ignore it?" But the more I thought, the more I realized, I've got to stand up for my child and the special needs community. So I commented that "as the mother of a special needs child, I think that referring to any child as dysfunctional is offensive." I was pretty nervous that it would cause an argument or that I would be told that I was being overly-sensitive or something, but to my surprise, I got an apology and the admittance that it was indeed insensitive. After that, I felt such a sense of accomplishment, like I had won a battle for Noah and for other special needs kids. Even if it was only one person that I had brought awareness to.
I promise you, 2 years ago, I wouldn't have thought a thing about that comment. And I'm preaching to myself to with this entry but dealing with what we have and being around the other children that are apart of the CP Center, it has opened mine and Jamie's eyes to TRYING to be considerate of the phrases we say and whether or not it can offend someone.... such as "that's retarded" or even calling someone retarded, fat, stupid, dumb, ugly (I could go on) is just plain mean. We should quit worrying so much about getting a laugh out of those around us, and focus more on having a kind and loving heart. We are now adults and PARENTS and it's time to be conscious of the things that we say and how they might affect others. We can no longer use the excuse of being an immature teenager and that we "don't know any better" because, guess what, WE DO KNOW BETTER.
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law." Galatians 5:22-23
5 comments:
I LOVE this blog!!! I totally understand where you are coming from. Growing up with my cousin Nick, it always grated my nerves for people to make comments. I also HATE all of those, "funny" picture comments that are available via myspace. It always blew my mind that people found that funny. However, i was guilty of using the phrase "retarded." I finally realized how I NEVER used that phrase in front of my aunt rhonda or uncle darryl. It is HURTFUL and downright sinful! I appreciate you SO much for taking a stand. I LOVE your passionate attitude! LOVE YOU!
wonderful, wonderful. I couldn't agree more. Being a mom has made me "fully myself"...grown-up in a way that I feel like being honest & respectful is the only way to be. Kids can & should change us, if time alone doesn't, but good for you to bring it to that person's attention. Btw, while we're on the topic of maturity, I would love to "reunion" chat with you...we are having all sorts of curveballs being thrown...I hope it's going much better for you.
--S
This is a great blog!! I think what you did is wonderful and people definitely need to take a listen to what phrases they use. You shoud be very proud of yourself as a person and as a mom.There should be more people like you to stand up for what is right.
Good for you Whit!!!!
Good for you Whitney! Noah is so Blessed to have some fabulous parents! You guys are so Blessed!
Post a Comment