Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Final Stretch

I'm officially in my 9th month of pregnancy. My 36th week began on Tuesday and I had my check up yesterday afternoon. Prior to my appointment, I could tell that Collier had dropped down some because I have more room around my rib cage (and less room around my bladder because I have to pee all the time). Dr. Keith was in a big hurry to go deliver 2 babies so my visit was very short, but he told me I was beginning to dilate. He didn't give a specific number so I'm thinking maybe I'm at 1 cm? He also confirmed that Collier had dropped and was right on my bladder. Maybe there will be progress at my next week appointment... but regardless, at the very latest, we will meet Collier 3 weeks from TODAY! Jamie and my mom are both convinced that I won't make it to Oct. 28th. Part of me agrees, however, I don't want to have my mind set on that in case I don't go into labor on my own. I'm ready, not that I'm wanting to rush Collier... I want him to come when he's ready, however, I'm VERY uncomfortable. Taking care of Noah has become harder. Lifting him, bathing him, carrying him, taking him to therapy 4 days a week... it's a little more challenging now because I just don't have the energy plus I'm achy and he's really REALLY heavy! I've started getting those "sympathy" looks while in public... you all know what I'm talking about. Where people just look at you and you can tell exactly what they're thinking, something like "bless her heart!" I had a man at the grocery store say, "you look like you're about to go off any minute!"... as though I'm a ticking time bomb. Okay, thanks sir.

You guys probably aren't interested, but I'm including all these details so I can look back and remember how I felt in these last few weeks. I'm still sleeping pretty decently... every once in a while, I'll have a night where I can't sleep, but for the most part, I'm still getting a good night's rest. Thankfully, my back hasn't hurt NEARLY as bad as it did with Noah. During my 36th week of pregnancy with Noah, my doctor took me off work completely. I had SO MUCH back pain with Noah and maybe the reason I haven't had as much this time is because I'm used to carrying Noah around so maybe my back is stronger, therefore the pregnancy isn't as straining on my back? Also, I've been having contractions for the past 2 weeks when I'm on my feet for a while... such as grocery shopping, walking at the mall, cleaning/cooking dinner... and they HURT! They do stop shortly after laying down so I guess it's just strong Braxton Hicks. Also, during my pregnancy with Noah, I began swelling by around week 33 however, I've yet to have any swelling this time, THANK GOODNESS!

This past weekend was UNA's Homecoming and our friends, Sonia and John Montgomery, along with their daughter Addison, came home all the way from Germany, where they've been stationed for the past year! It was SO SO great to see them, especially since it's been 9 months since their last visit. Friday night, we (my best friends from college/Phi Mu, with the exception of a few who couldn't make it) went to dinner: husbands and wives, along with most of the kids... I think there was around 18 of us. Because of the craziness, we didn't get a group picture. Saturday morning was UNA's Homecoming Parade and we all met up and let the kids watch it together. This was Noah's first time watching a parade and he was amazed! He's pretty sensitive and still gets startled by unexpectedly loud noises so I was curious how he would handle all the sights and sounds (the band, police sirens, etc), but he really loved it! He continues to surprise us... things that we think will bother or upset him, thrill him! Following the parade, Jamie took Noah with him to allow me to eat lunch with the girls in downtown. Majority of the group tailgated following lunch, however, I chose to come home and take it easy for a few hours. That evening was the AL - FL game so everyone reconvened at our house to cheer on the Tide. We had a great time, especially since Alabama dominated Florida. Chenequa and Brett's little girl, Hannah, Addison, and Noah all had a good time playing together in the floor. The following day, Sunday, we met for an early lunch at Ricatoni's before the Montgomery's headed out of town. Thankfully, they will be around for several more weeks, so all of us girls have planned a playdate with the kids next week. It was a busy but very fun weekend!


Sonia, Chenequa, Me, and Becca






Me and Chenequa


Becca, Me, Sonia, Melissa, and Chenequa

Photobucket

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is so funny. I remember the sympathy looks. :) Enjoy! You look great!