A couple of weeks ago, Jamie's 85 year old grandfather, Papa Jim, was outside in the yard picking up sticks. He lives on the river and his property is on a very steep slant down to the water. He fell, rolled down the hill and the only thing that kept him from falling in the river, was that he hit a tree with his head. He was in ICU for 2 weeks and had some complications with pneumonia and kidney failure. He passed away early Friday morning so we had his visitation and funeral Monday and Tuesday of this week. Papa Jim was a tough, hard-working man; he started Brink Apartments in 1959 with a 5 unit apartment complex and over the years grew it into a business of over 550 apartments, with the help of the other Brink men. He taught his son, Tony and all 3 of his grandsons every aspect of apartment management, from the dirtiest of jobs, unstopping toilets -- yuck! to the financial and business aspects of managing the office. He was a hard-nosed man and sometimes he could drive Jamie bonkers with his stubborness but you never doubted that he loved and cared for his family. Papa Jim lived a long, fulfilling life and we know he's spending his eternity with our Lord so his funeral was a day of celebration rather than mourning. However, he will surely be missed.
I think it's very clear that I love my kids. They (along with Jamie) are my world. But if we're being completely honest here, then I have to admit, sometimes they drive me nuts. In fact, I know EVERY mom has those days. And the past couple of days have been some of "those days". I'm not sure if it's the extreme heat, the fact that all three of us have colds or a combo of everything going on, but it's been ROUGH. I just have to keep repeating "This too shall pass... this too shall pass..." And hopefully Jamie won't come home and find me balled up in the corner of the room hugging and rocking myself. :)
Like I said, vacation couldn't have come at a more perfect time. And since we are days away, I'm now giddy with excitement. It's our turn to go with Jamie's parents (Jamie and his brothers rotate each summer as to who gets to go with his parents since someone has to stay behind to run the business). We will be with them for the Alabama Homebuilder's Association Annual Summer Meeting and they have lots of fun activities, dinners and parties for all those in attendance, plus alot of other families from this area, most of who are friends with the Brinks, will be there for the conference. We are really looking forward to it! I am a tad bit anxious as to how Collier will do since he's a very routine kind of baby. It will definitely be different with two kids. Especially since it will be all 4 of us in ONE hotel room (and my sweet little Collier has a habit of waking around 5 or 6ish and talking for a little while in his crib, then going back to sleep. Trust me, I'm bringing ear plugs, a sound machine and a go-with-the-flow attitude! So to get me through these next few days, I'm going to enjoy these great pictures and know that I'll be there by this time next week!

Jamie and I will most DEFINITELY make time to do this... sit on the beach alone and gaze longingly into each other's eyes. Um, yea right.
But we WILL hang out right here, at one of my favorite things about the Hilton. In fact, I will probably even enjoy one of those colorful drinks, except mine will be frozen and taste like a margarita. :)
And I ALWAYS pay a visit to this little piece of heaven and indulge in a fabulous massage
And we'll most definitely be here each day
Awww.... sweet sweet vacation, I can't WAIT for you to arrive!!!




1 comment:
so sorry about everything that is going on with you right now. What a tough few months! So glad y'all are getting away!
My kids can drive me bonkers sometimes, too. I feel bad for saying that because I work full time. I should want to be around them all the time I can. A few nights this week I have been glad to drop them off with my mom so I could go to work. :/ I hate even admitting that, but it's so true. So...you're not alone!
Praying for your dad and your family.
Post a Comment