We left Thursday afternoon and stayed the night in Montgomery, where we enjoyed exploring their downtown area and dined on steaks on the outdoor patio of the Renaissance Montgomery. The next morning, we hit the road so that we would arrive in Sandestin around noon. We checked in to the Sandestin Hilton at 1:00 pm, changed into our bathing suits and were outside lounging by the pool with frozen drinks in hand 30 minute later! We didn't waste any time. And the greatest part was that we didn't have to worry about nap times or anyone getting burnt! That night, we ate at my absolute FAVORITE restaurant, Louisiana Lagniappe where I had my usual, Grouper Pontchartrain. The next few days were spent the same way... sleeping in (well, I did), spending all day at the pool, getting showered/dressed, doing a little outlet shopping then enjoying a yummy seafood dinner, go to bed and repeat the next day. It was a tough few days. :)
One morning, I was woken up pretty early by someone knocking on the door to our hotel room. I assumed it was Jamie since he was at the gym, but since I was dressed in only a tshirt, I checked the peep hole. On the other side of the door was a big guy (I wasn't wearing my glasses since I was half asleep so I couldn't really make out what he looked like, other than he wasn't Jamie), I told him he had the wrong room, to which he giggles, then to my complete surprise, raises his shirt up and begins wiggling and shaking his belly! If I hadn't been asleep, I know I would have laughed but at the time I was out of it. I said, "No REALLY, you have the wrong room!" to which he replies, "Oh crap, I do!!!!" as he takes off down the hall. Of course, I got straight back in the bed and fall asleep. Once I woke up later on, I laughed hysterically while retelling the story to Jamie!
On our last night, we made the short drive over to Seaside to do a little walking around, sight-seeing and shopping. I know I blogged about Seaside last year (it's the location in which the Truman Show was filmed), but I'm just as amazed at this idyllic little town each year we go there. It's an adorable community with gorgeous, brightly painted beach houses surrounded by wrap-around porches all within walking distance of the town center. Its a common occurance to see people riding their bikes up and down the sidewalks and to see families all headed to the busy town square. An ampitheater on the grand lawn is surrounded by quaint little shops, art galleries, outdoor seafood restaurants, ice cream parlors, and clothing stores full of beach apparel. Every year, I buy myself and the boys a Seaside t-shirt so I made sure to stop in Seaside Beach to see which brightly colored shirts are available for that year. This year, Jamie and I walked around taking it all in and enjoying the slow pace of life that seems to be a common theme in Seaside. It's simply gorgeous! I think that got it right when they dubbed Seaside's motto to be : "A simple, beautiful life!"
After our excursion in Seaside, Jamie and I headed back to Sandestin to get some ice cream from the frozen yogurt bar, 32 degrees. While we were waiting to pull out on the Hwy 98 (the main road in Destin/Sandestin), we were behind a truck that kept acting like it was about to pull out but then would hit the breaks, repeatedly. We both were frustrated that they wouldn't pull out into the open lane of traffic, but then Jamie said outloud, "Oh my gosh, they are fighting!" at the same time that I see the driver of the car slam on the breaks and repeatedly punch the passanger over and over. It was the scariest thing I've ever seen! Based on the passenger's size, we assumed she was a girl but when he kept punching her, she sunk down in the seat out of sight. The driver then pulled out onto the highway, but continued to hit his breaks and punch her over and over. We pulled out right behind them, because we needed to take the very next turn, however the truck stayed in the turning lane while he continued to hit her. He literally was beating the crap out of this girl! I called 911 to report what we were witnessing as we finally were able to go around them and turn back into the parking lot that we intended on being in. That's when we notice that they also turned in behind us. We headed off in one direction toward the yogurt shop and the truck headed off in the opposite direction of another parking lot. We lost sight of them about the time that we heard the sirens from the police that had been dispatched. The 911 operator wanted us to follow them but we were scared they might have a gun. You never know! It was absolutely crazy. I was so shaken up that it bothered me the entire night. I just kept picturing that guy punch the girl repeatedly in the head. I don't think the police ever found them but I just pray that she's okay. Jamie saw more than I saw and he said she actually threw the first punch but the guy definitely finished it. Based on the way he was so quick to hit her back, it didn't look like his first time to hit a girl. It just made me so sad to witness something like that. I'm just so thankful that I wasn't raised in a violent home, nor do I have a violent husband! It was quite a dramatic ending to our otherwise perfect vacation.
The next morning, Memorial Day, we headed out bright and early to get home to our boys! Although Jamie and I appreciated the time that we got to spend with one another, we were relaxed, rejuvenated and ready to resume our roles as parents!
No comments:
Post a Comment