Before Noah was born, my mom took a cake decorating class with the intentions of making Noah all kinds of cakes for birthdays, holidays, etc .... well, that never really happened. I think she has decorated 1 cake since she finished those classes... but to her defense, she had been working full time up until recently. Anyways, I decided we needed to put her cake decorating tools to good use and do Noah's birthday cake ourselves this year. Here is our attempt...
We both took turns doing the icing because after awhile your hand starts cramping! But not too shabby, huh? I thought our giraffe turned out pretty good for our first try! Please note, we didn't attach his little antellar things... those have to be made with chocolate and we didn't have any. However, I would like to mention that I'm not sure you save any money going this route ... the cake pan was $12.99, the icing dye was about $3 per color, plus cake mix costs (plus any additional cost, eggs, veg. oil, ingredients to make the icing, etc). But, as my mother pointed out, the cake pan was a one time cost and we will have it to make this cake as many times as we want in the future (the pan is the Wilton Animal Crackers... depending on how you decorate it, it can be a giraffe, pig, cat, or panda bear).

Here's Noah's cake last year... maybe I can work my way up to that, uhhh...yeah right! :)

3 comments:
Leah took those cake decorating classes and she is GOOD! I bet she could even make Noah's birthday cake from last year. People ask her to make them all the time.
Your giraffe turned out pretty good too. I'm impressed. I can barely just frost a regular old cake out of the box!
I am VERY impressed!! Now I know where you get all your talent from :)
The giraffe cake looks really cute! I am impressed that you did this on your first try.
Post a Comment