Monday, June 22, 2009

Noah's 2 Year Check Up

On Friday, 6/19, we finally had Noah's two year check up. The reason it's so far past his birthday is because I wanted to get in with Dr. Crenshaw instead of the other docs in the practice. They're all great, but I just LOVE Dr. Crenshaw. Plus, Jamie and I were super nervous about discussing Noah's MMR vaccine. We made the decision to put it off at his 1 year appointment (against our pediatrician's wishes) and have since changed pediatricians. At Noah's 18 month check, Dr. Crenshaw understood our desire to hold off on it and was very supportive. So I was expecting that she would want to give it at this 2 yr. appointment. To our COMPLETE surprise, she told us that she would prefer to hold off. Reason being that when a child is developmentally delayed with an unknown cause, she said research suggests it's best to postpone the vaccine. She didn't SAY that vaccines cause dev. problems/autism but she said, she preferred to wait until we AT LEAST get our results from the biopsy or until Noah is 3 yrs. old when he's further along developmentally. Her reasoning was that right now, Noah is making good progress and if she were to give the vaccine and then he were to regress in development, then it would confuse us into thinking that it was the vaccine when it very well could be something else. I appreciate that SO MUCH, because most doctor's are so pro vaccinations that they will give them regardless if a child is showing signs of autism/delays at the 12 month checkup... then parents blame it on the vaccine. So it makes it really difficult to know if the child would have autism regardless of the vaccine or because of the vaccine. Does that make sense? Here's an example of what I mean, a friend of mine asked her doctor what she typically does if she thinks a patient might have autism at the 12 month checkup (would she mention it to the mom? -- she said not at this time), but that she would "make note in the child's chart of possible autism" then proceed with the vaccine, then at the next checkup, if the child is still showing autism signs, mention it to the parents. So that very well could be the explanation WHY so many parents are blaming vaccines for their child's autism. Anyways, in our case, because Noah is already delayed and the MMR has been linked with "causing" delays, we've been very confused as to what we should do. Needless to say, we were so incredibly thankful for Dr. Crenshaw's insight and after our appointment with her, I believe the key is to discussing it with your pediatrician and determining the right time for YOUR child... because as we all know, no one kid is the same! Now you know why I was adament about getting Noah in to see her! :) She's worth the wait.

Anyways, here's his 2 year stats:
weight -- 28lbs -- 50th%
height -- 36 1/4" -- 90th%
head circum. -- don't remember, but it was 97th% (which is normal for a child that's had surgery on his skull, their heads tend to be bigger)

So the trend in Noah's height/weight remains the same as it has since birth, still long and lean.... and he's top-heavy with his big head! :) haha... I say that with love!

1 comment:

sonyagraykey said...

Whitney, I am a vaccine watcher & my kid's are not in Noah's shoes! I wish I had known more about it with L., but I started researching it as he was getting them. He had a growth delay (dropped down the 5% out of no where) & it all started after a huge dose of shots. So, I break Zora's shots up so that she only gets one or two things a month or every other month. (Live viruses such as chicken pox or MMR have to be give at the same time or 1 mth apart, so she'll get her mmr at 18 mths or 2). Good for you for getting a Dr. who listens & researching for your baby!