Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Lesson learned from the GFCF Diet

Pre- Gluten-Free/Casein-Free Diet, I fed Noah ALOT of (unhealthy) Gerber meals... you know, the kind that you just pop in the microwave. I did it because it was so easy and it didn't cause any kind of mess in my kitchen (like dishes to wash, etc.) I was big on convenience foods. However, since implementing this diet, I've had to go a different route... and it's SOOOO much more healthier and better for Noah.

Here's some examples of what I've been feeding him Post- GFCF Diet:

scrambled eggs
Gluten Free Chex w/ Rice Milk
Steamed Veggies (with a little butter substitute and garlic salt)
Turkey meat (I'll tear it into pieces and mix it with stuff, such as the veggies)
White Rice
Lots of fruit (strawberries, peaches, oranges, applesauce)
Peanut Butter and apples
Baked Potato (with butter sub. and Casein free cheese)
Raisins
Sweet Potato (w/ butter sub. and cinnamon)
Gluten free Pasta with Amy's All Natural Spaghetti Sauce (GFCF)
Grilled Chicken
Occasionally I'll do a Grilled Cheese (with Rice Almond Bread and Tofutti Cheese) or PB sandwich

I'm DEFINITELY feeding him better well-balanced meals and he LIKES it... which is the crazy part. He hardly eats bread or carbs anymore and he's eating fruits and veggies at almost every sitting. We used to give him so many carbs it was ridiculous. Pre-diet, instead of trying to come up with a healthy meal, I went for the easiest option, something pre-packaged and quick. My go-to meals were mac-n-cheese (you know, the microwave kind), soup, pb&j sandwich, hot dog weenies, grilled cheese, and gerber meals. So even if this GFCF diet doesn't have an effect on Noah, I'm still sticking with the healthy well-balanced meals, just non-GFCF versions. I will never buy another Gerber meal again!

Now, as far as any changes that I've noticed... none so far. But I've read where I need to keep it up for 1 - 2 months to notice a difference. One thing that I think I forgot to mention is that I'm also giving him liquid B-12 (as recommended) twice a day.

However, on a different note... this little boy is pulling up on any and everything now. He used to only do it on carpeted floors, mainly in the den, and only on something that was really sturdy, such as furniture. Now, he is no longer content just sitting on the floor; WHEREVER we are, he grabs onto something and stands up. He opens the bathroom drawers and stands up by holding onto them and then plays with whatever is in the drawer (99% of the time it all ends up on the floor because he loves emptying drawers). He grabs the kitchen counters and stands up.... barstools, the kitchen table, my leg, etc. I don't think words could express just HOW happy it makes me! And he's become fearless about it... he'll be in his socks and grab onto something and stand up in the kitchen (on the tile floor), and slide down because of his socks... only to turn right around and do it again. Just a couple of weeks ago, that made him so upset to the point where he would be crying (even if he didn't hurt anything). I KNOW walking is soooo close I can almost touch it! :) I CAN NOT WAIT for him to finish up his program next month because I truly think it's all he'll need to be walking all over the place! I told Jamie that when we come home from B'ham, it's my DREAM for Noah to walk to his daddy to hug him! The thought of that just makes my heart so happy. I know Jamie and I both would LOSE it if that were to happen. :)

1 comment:

Kellie Belue Jordan said...

I just lost it reading your blog... so i cannot imagine what you guys would do if he did walk to his Daddy. Wow! Chills all over my body! You are an amazing mother and I LOVE YOU!