Thursday, February 4, 2010

There's No Place Like Home

Last Friday was Noah's last day of therapy in Birmingham. Jamie drove down to join us on Wednesday (he actually wasn't supposed to get there until Thursday after work, but he surprised me and showed up 1 day sooner...BEST surprise ever because I was really missing him) so that he could go to the last two of Noah's sessions, to see all the different things we were working on so that he too, would know what to do at home. Noah had a GREAT last two days of therapy and by Friday, he had worked up his endurance to walking on the treadmill for 20 minutes with 1/2 weights on his ankles and walked over 800 yards in his walker... pretty hard stuff for a 2.5 year old! At the end of our 3 hours, they sent us home with a list of things to continue working on and off we headed... in the freezing rain/snow that had been coming down for a few hours. Also, during therapy, I wasn't feeling too great, kind of nauseated. Once we got on the road, I began feeling worse, and when Jamie and I stopped in Gardendale for lunch, I felt so bad that I couldn't eat anything. We were in seperate cars and Noah was with me. The weather was getting worse the further north we drove and somewhere past Moulton (in between Muscle Shoals and Moulton), I was feeling AWFUL and Noah was fussing because he wanted out of the car. I kept thinking I was going to have to pull over on the side of the road and get out in the freezing cold weather to get sick, but luckily, I made it to my parent's house in Muscle Shoals, where I literally jumped out of the car and ran straight for the bathroom. I apparently had caught some kind of stomach bug because I spent the rest of the day throwing up and laying in the bed. And my body ACHED so bad... my back, legs, everything hurt like crazy! I ended up just staying the night at my parents house because I was too nauseated to drive home but by the next morning, I felt a little better. We spent Saturday relaxing and laying around and we went to sunday school and church on Sunday, which I've really missed because it's been 4 weeks since we were last there.

Noah's teachers at Wee Care were so excited to have him back this week and his therapists met me in his room to discuss all the things he had accomplished while in B'ham. Today, we went to Huntsville for his weekly therapy session and his therapists were SO HAPPY. His PT (physical therapist) hugged me so tight because she was so excited for Noah and so pleased with how well he was doing and his OT (Occupational Therapist) told me that she was so happy she wanted to cry! :) It means alot that they care so much about Noah and his accomplishments and that they celebrate with us when he learns new things. They've become personally invested in his progress and I love that they care so much, rather than him being just another patient that they see. It's so good to be home and back in our regular routine!

No comments: