Monday, April 19, 2010

Baby Drama

Warning: Sorry if this is too much information.

Last Tuesday morning (at 11 weeks preg. to the day) around 3am, I woke up to use the bathroom to discover I was having some bleeding. I immediately woke Jamie up and told him what was going on, which obviously upset the both of us. I finally dozed back off to sleep after tossing and turning with worry. Then around 6am I got up to go the bathroom and it was still going on. Jamie and I both just knew I was miscarrying and we were devastated. I called my mom crying so she called my aunt (who does ultrasounds for UAB in their Maternal/Fetal Medicine Dept.) In the meantime, I got in the shower so I would be dressed by the time my doctor's office opened. My aunt called me and told me not to get too upset just yet, that it could be other things and didn't necessarily mean miscarriage. I got in touch with my dr's office, however, my doctor was on vacation at the beach and the other doctor was in surgery all morning so they sent me to the ER. I kept asking the receptionist at the office, "please, can ya'll not just bring me in and check for a heartbeat??" Needless to say, I was not thrilled about going to the ER. We got there at 9am and they did blood work, did an exam, and finally two hours later, took me up to do an ultrasound. As I was laying on that table, I was praying the whole time... one of the ceiling tiles was painted with clouds all over it and I just stared into it. Finally I asked the u/s tech if she saw the baby and she answered "yes"... afraid of what she was going to say, I asked, "is there a heartbeat?" and she said yes again... Praise the Lord! I burst into tears! She had the other u/s tech take a look so I was afraid they were keeping something from me, so I kept asking if everything was okay. They told me it was and that the baby was even showing to be a few days ahead of its due date so it's development is right on track, however they were trying to find what could be causing the bleeding. They weren't able to find anything, so they sent me back down to the ER where the doctor finally released me at 1:30 and put me on bedrest for the remainder of the week. Since my mom doesn't work, she told me to bring Noah and come stay with her so she could take care of him. I had some bleeding on and off the rest of Tuesday and Wednesday evening. Friday was my regular monthly check up with Dr. Keith so when we got there, they brought us back for another u/s. Baby was still doing great and she found a spot right behind the placenta that was the source of the bleeding. Dr. Keith later told me what it was (can't remember) but that there's nothing he or I can do to make it go away and that hopefully it would absolve itself. But he did tell me that there was a chance that the bleeding could continue throughsout the rest of the pregnancy, but it's nothing serious and I didn't need to be on bedrest. He was so reassuring... he even told me that if at any point I got worried and wanted them to check on the baby, to call and they would bring me in for an u/s. Everything else looked great and they sent us on our way.

I felt fine this weekend and actually did a yardsale with my mom on Saturday morning. Sunday night, I was about to go to bed and felt my nose running. I rubbed it and it was blood! I had a small nosebleed but it stopped pretty quickly. Apparently this is common due to all the hormones. Then on Monday, my doctor's office calls to tell me that my blood work came back fine except that I'm anemic. Good grief! At least it explains how exhausted I've been. I've had less energy this time than I did with Noah so now I know why. I told Jamie today that with all the drama this baby has caused, it MUST be a girl! :) I guess we'll find out in about a month! One thing I learned is that no two pregnancies are the same. Noah's was easy, uncomplicated... very little nausea, no other issues. This one has kept us on our toes.

Photobucket

9 comments:

The Penter Family said...

Oh My Goodness! What a relief... glad it was not a serious issue! The ER is the worst place for anything... they never get it right. Hopefully you will feel better from here on out.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad baby Brink is okay! I bet they said it was a subchorionic hemorrhage, very common but still scary! I hope the drama stays at a minimum from here on out :)

Anonymous said...

That same thing happened to me when I was 9 weeks pregnant with Parker and it's awful. I am so glad that everything is ok...

Nina Long said...

So glad everything is ok!! And you are right every pregnancy is different, my first was so easy and my second was drama too but it still was a precious little boy!! Take care and maybe when they put you on iron pills you will feel better!!

Katy said...

I had a subchorionic hemmorhage during my pregnancy. I was on "pelvic rest" for a few weeks. I also had nose bleeds and was anemic.....maybe you are having a girl!!!

The Montgomery Family said...

Whit I am glad everything is ok!!! I think you are having a GIRL too but for the other reasons we discussed :) Love you!!!

Lauren Borquez said...

Woo Hoo everything is fine! I know you must be so relieved.what a blessing :).I had the nosebleed thing pretty bad and I had never had a nosebleed in my life up til tat point ..mine started around 20 weeks..it would pour..not fun..bloody prego women tend to scare people :)

Kellie Belue Jordan said...

It is totally a girl! Drama Queen arriving in 31 weeks! :)

LOVE YOU! So glad all is well! Hallelujah! God Is Good!

KylaB said...

So glad everything is okay! The same thing happened to me at 7 weeks, so you aren't alone. :) Will definitely be thinking of you all!!!! I bet it's a girl! :)