Saturday, September 5, 2009

Frenulectomy

... a what? My blog just helps improve your medical terminology almost monthly, doesn't it?! :) Noah is having a frenulectomy next Friday, 9/11. He has anklyoglossia or is "tongue tied". Basically, the little piece of tissue that is underneath the tongue comes almost to the tip of his tongue and limits mobility (he can't stick his tongue out)... I noticed this when he was a baby and mentioned it to our pediatrician (who we don't use anymore), who dismissed it. I pointed it out to our Speech Therapist this summer and she said it was bad enough that it would definitely hinder the pronunciation of sounds that he makes and we should definitely have the procedure done. Of course, I did online research which told me that it doesn't necessarily prevent one from speaking but it does hinder the way a sound comes out. I kind of disagree because babies practice making sounds and then they figure out what they can say (da-da-da), well if you can't practice those sounds, how can you learn to say them? We had the consult with Dr. Long on Monday and Noah's frenulum is so tight that he couldn't even get underneath Noah's tongue with a tongue depressor (of course Noah's was fighting us). The procedure is very simple (he compared it to getting tubes in your ears), takes about 10 minutes, sometimes require a stitch or two, and there will be some discomfort for a couple of days. So say a little prayer for Noah, even though its not a major surgery, that things go well and that he has minimal pain.

5 comments:

Katy said...

Harper had a frenulectomy, too! She acted like it felt weird but never like it hurt at all. She drooled a lot when we came home but by the next morning it was if it never happened at all. The next day she was practicing sticking out her tongue--something she wasn't able to do before :)

The 6 W's said...

Lily was "tongue tied" also but they clipped it before we even brought her home from the hospital. It doesn't hurt them at all b/c it's just extra skin but it may scare Noah a little b/c he's a little older. Good luck and good for you staying after it!! Doctors don't always know everything!! ; )

KylaB said...

My brother and I had one when we were little. Mom says there's nothing to it. :) He will do fine!!! We will keep you all in our prayers!

sonyagraykey said...

I'm so happy that you are such a proactive mommy for Noah. He's lucky to have you dismissing those dismissive doctors & doing what's best for him. We'll think of the little guy. I'm sure he'll be "yapping it up" before you know it. :)

Micha Everett Photography said...

When I was a baby I also had this and had surgery (they clipped it) when I was 4! I just know everything will be fine!!!