Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I better get used to this...

We had an appointment with Noah's new neurologist yesterday, Dr. Mathison. Our original neuro, Dr. Valero, left Children's a year ago and back in February, we saw the neurologist that was taking over Valero's patients. To be honest, she didn't seem to have a clue what she was talking about, so I asked around, heard good things about Dr. Mathison, and got Noah in with him. We really like him and he was very informative and knowledgeable. He was more definite about things... with Dr. Valero, he was always saying things like, "we'll have to wait and see" or "I'm not sure" or "only time will tell..." however, Dr. Mathison was more factual. He told us that only 1 out of every 6 patients that have a developmental delay will get an actual diagnosis as to WHAT caused the delayed. He also explained several other things to us regarding Noah's past MRI (things that I didn't understand when Dr. Valero explained them). Of course, we still don't have a diagnosis and there's a good chance we may never get one. However, he said it was his gut instinct that it was something genetic with Noah. As of now, the genetic tests that have been performed haven't revealed any answers (everything's come back normal) but in a few years, so many new tests will be available. Needless to say, it was a good appointment and I feel good about him taking over as Noah's neurologist. He DID say that the chance of whatever it is causing Noah's delay showing up in Collier's genome is around 1 - 25% but much closer to 1%. So please pray that that doesn't happen and that Collier is 100% healthy.

Now on to other news...
This evening while I was finishing up dinner, Jamie was outside finishing up cutting the grass, and Noah was at the front door watching his daddy. I heard Noah fall down and cry out but then he was quiet so I assumed he was okay... well then he yelled out and was screaming crying. By the time I got to him, he was COVERED in blood. It was all over the floor, his clothes and all over his face. I couldn't tell where he was bleeding from, due to all the blood. I freaked out!! I grabbed a napkin to try and wipe some of it away to figure out where it was coming from, and thats when I saw that he had a gash on his forehead above his right eye. And the bleeding was not slowing down and it was swelling pretty big by this point. I took Noah and ran outside looking for Jamie. I'm sure my neighbors thought I was a nut, because I was screaming Jamie's name at the top of my lungs, trying for him to hear me over the leaf blower. Like I said, I was completely panicking. When Jamie saw us, he threw down the leaf blower and ran to us. We got Noah inside and applied pressure to try and stop the bleeding. It slowed up some and I was ready for us to take him to the ER. I grew up with a sister, where neither of us ever had stitches or any broken bones... we were pretty accident-free. Jamie, on the other hand, grew up with two brothers where this kind of thing was a regular occurance. He examined the cut and said he didn't think it needed stitches so once Noah calmed down, we cleaned him up and got a butterfly band-aid on it. After lots of hugs and kisses from me and Jamie and a couple of chewable Tylenol, Noah was fine and playing in the floor with his trucks. Unfortunately, I'm afraid this won't be the last of these kind of accidents since I'll be the mom of 2 boys! I just hope my nerves can handle it.

The cut actually looks pretty small in the pictures, but it was fairly wide (in my opinion). Small or not, this thing was bleeding profusely! Even Jamie admitted that it was alot of blood. And we're still not sure what he hit his head on! Like I said, he was at the front door, so the only thing I could think of was either the door handle or the door hinge because there wasn't anything else laying around for him to hit his head on.




(Please excuse the crazy hair)

Photobucket

1 comment:

Jones Family said...

Poor Noah and Mom! I hate blood and head injuries are the worst! Hope he feels better today!