Tuesday, August 31, 2010

If You Really Knew Me

Summer tv is terrible! There is absolutely nothing worth watching during the summer months and Jamie and I both LONG for September when all of our favorite shows start back up. During the tv lull, I've tuned in to alot of MTV.. I know I know, but what can I say, it's a late night guilty pleasure! Majority of their shows are junk (umm, Jersey Shore) but I've come across one, "If You Really Knew Me" that I've watched a couple of times. It comes on at 10pm on Tuesdays. Can I say, WOW! This show visits different high schools throughout the country that deal with discriminations, stereotypes, and cliques (ummm, isn't that just about every high school, college, and even work place?) They bring in a couple of counselors or team leaders for a "Challenge Day" and place the kids into random groups and encourage them to each open up about their family life, the hardships they've dealt with in the past, pressures they feel... basically things that have molded them into what and who they are. The counselors break down the barriers that are set up because of the differences among each of the students, whether it be from race, gender, sexual preference, interests, extracurricular activity (whether you're a cheerleader, jock, popular, band member, outsider, etc.) It opens up these kids hearts to reach out to others outside of his/her social circle because you never really know what someone is dealing with or has dealt with in their past. It really is a powerful show and it honestly does make one examine themself, as well as their heart. It encourages compassion and acceptance to each and everyone... talk about a positive, feel-good show! And yes, it is airing on MTV! How much easier high school would have been if something like this would have taken place during my 4 years there!

Photobucket

No comments: